My six-week course is a two-hour session every week. These workshops are for beginners and improvers. My small class size of four people means I can dedicate time to each student. This is a good place to be if you wish to meet other people interested in upholstery, work on your project and share ideas on what you intend to work on. You also have a chance to work at home between classes to practice the techniques learned.
Classes normally run on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays in the morning and evening.
Depending on your choice of project, you will be shown and practice some of the following skills:
- Contemporary or traditional upholstery techniques,
- Correct and safe use of professional tools,
- How to clean, restore and repair your project chair if required,
- Stripping down the chair in preparation for the new fabric,
- Upholstery knots,
- Simple buttoning techniques,
- Fitting fabric around the seat or legs,
- Correct use of an industrial sewing machine,
- And many more techniques and skills.
What Should You Bring?
If you’ve never re-upholstered and want to give it a go, then bring in a small to medium sized chair or a footstool. This project is achievable within the six weeks so you can go home feeling proud of your achievements. If you would like to re-upholster something larger, please ask for some personal tuition.
If you are unsure what to bring along or to check availability, please contact me with a photo via my FaceBook page or on 0777 240 1689.
All materials for completing your project are available for purchase. I also have a selection of upholstery fabric, but if you have a fabric in mind, it is best to source this beforehand.
Note: Please ensure the fabric is non-stretch and there is 10cms of excess all the way around your seat.